It is now estimated that 3.9 million Americans work remotely. This number continues to grow as more and more businesses implement flexible scheduling, turn to freelance work, and establish “side hustles” that have them working from home.
If you have a job or side hustle that has you working from your apartment, it may be time to create a home office. After all, you need a space where you can be productive and be free of distractions (or at the very least – limit them).
If you’re ready to create a home office use these tips to get you started. They’ll help you focus on the essential things as you establish your new workspace!
- Dedicate a Space: You may think that you need an entire room in order to create an office, but that’s not necessarily true. All you really need is a dedicated space that is conducive for you to work. You could choose a space in your bedroom, living room or spare bedroom that will be your workspace.
- Check Your Internet Speed: This is critical. You are most likely going to need high-speed internet in order to work from home successfully. While your normal internet speed may be enough for your regular daily tasks, you may need to add speed for work. Once you’ve checked your internet speed, speak to your provider about increasing it if needed.
- Create a Workspace that Works for You: You can spend hours searching Pinterest or other sites for home office design ideas, but ultimately it comes down to creating a space that works for you. Decide how much space you need for the various components of your office and work from there. Be sure to measure everything – especially if your office will not be in a dedicated room. This will save you from the frustration of having to return items that don’t fit.
- Invest in Your Chair: If you’re going to be sitting for extended periods of time, invest in a good chair. Sitting for long periods has shown to be detrimental to your health, especially your posture. Look for an adjustable chair with lumbar support and high-quality fabric.
- Make it Stylish: If you are going to be spending lots of time in this space, then you need to make it stylish. This is especially true if you are adding your workspace to an existing room such as a living room or bedroom. You want your office to match your tastes and the current design of the room.
- Have Plenty of Storage: One thing you can never have too much of is storage. If you think you have enough – add more. While filing cabinets may seem like an office staple, you don’t have to use them in your home office space. You can find attractive storage that will hold papers, magazines, and even hide away certain gadgets and gizmos that don’t need to be displayed all the time.
- Get All Necessary Technology: Make sure you have all of your technology needs. A good laptop, charging station, and printer/copier/fax combo are probably on your list. You might also add a pair of noise-canceling headphones if others are at home while you work.
- Let In the Light: If you can set up your home office near some natural light – that’s ideal. But, it’s not always possible. Be sure you have lamps that will provide adequate light, so you are not straining to see.
Creating a home office doesn’t have to be a daunting task when you spend some time preparing. You can create a productive and stylish space that meets all of your needs while working from the comfort of your apartment.